Wednesday, October 24, 2007

family and cost



My children are right now "jamming" their way through some melody or another. My son is on his electric guitar and my daughter is on the baby grand piano. What a way to communicate. They started playing the same thing but now both are practicing their lessons (at the same time). I guess that is what we get for supporting their musical gifts. God made music and they are both being creative with this gift. They are not competing for sound, just lost in the beauty of confusion I guess.



well, off to finish my "incarnation" of Beyond Cheap Grace. Great book- makes you wonder why it has taken so long for this to be realized in the 20th century- now into the 21st. It is so easy to give away something cheaply if you did not pay for it yourself. For the most part, we as American Christians have not had to "pay" for their faith. That is probably why we are in the "decline" in faith that is not happening elsewhere.


The question then is...Am I ready for costly discipleship? I think I am but what does that mean for me in a white, middle class church? How does that translate from sitting in the pews and consuming to engaging people in order to show the vision of Jesus- to walk as He walked.






2 comments:

Gina said...

Hi, Cheryl! Miss seeing you. Have to look up your phone # so we can catch up. Glad to see things are going well for your family.

Jeremy Pierce said...

I remember those days of just playing around, sometimes with others in the room, sometimes ignoring them. It's a lot worse when you've got drums too, and we sometimes used to do it with five or six people.

It's a lot like parallel play with young children, each doing their own thing, which is common in our house with two autistic kids who have a lot less desire to involve other kids in what they're doing. It sometimes also results in the same noise also.


where I dream...