Thursday, February 21, 2008

Entitlement

I am starting my next sermon for the spring term and the subject is "entitlement." This type of sermon is a bit different since it starts with the subject and then I need to find the appropriate text in which this is spoken about. I am finding it difficult. No concordance lists all the text on "entitlement"- just kinding, not even a glance. But then that means I have to approach this a different way. I am starting to think about this subject though:

What is it that makes most "Christians" feeled entitled? I think it stems from the fact that we believe our Christianity gives us the right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." This confuses us. We have taken this Americanism and mixed it with the gospel so that the issues we face are decided and debated with this in mind. So "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" becomes about divorce and abortion, and every other issues that makes Christianity complex. If we can say that we've made a decision because "it makes us happy, and God wants us happy" this is improper exegesis- at least of the correct text. Where in your Bible does it say- you are entitled to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." If my husband doesn't make me happy anymore- I can file for divorce and explain how he emotionally neglected me to my small group and get comforted and encouraged. It is so not right.
OK, so here is the entitlement thing. We American Christians think we are entitled to "xyz" because God wants us happy! I can think of a few places where Paul was not a happy person. He actually gave his life and liberty to save people. Obviously Jesus did the same. No where in the New Testament do we get this. So, back to my text... This is harder to pinpoint than I thought.

So, do you see my dilemma? If you have any feedback, let me know.

1 comment:

Nobody said...

Have you read Nancy Pearcey's "Total Truth"? A really awesome book that hits on this a lot. It made me think a lot about things I had always taken for granted as Biblically true, but now I realize may simply be American.


where I dream...